Sunday, February 10, 2008

Generation Trendss

As people get older, it gets harder to accept that times are changing. Older generations find it difficult to adapt to changing times, ie: cell phones and internet, so it easiest to bash it. Yes, there are some who are savy, but those who do know know about technology generally do not research it. My gradmother refuses to use a cell phone or buy/learn how to use a computer. Her exact words are:

"I have been living 80 years without it, why would i need it now."
If you really think about it, it is true. My parents just got a cell phone a year ago, when phones have been around for years. I believe that you will use what you grow up with, when you are in your mid-thirtys to fiftys/sixtys you can adapt to the times, and after you are set in your ways and are much harder to change.

Since our generation is easiest to adapt to technology, will we be able to break this trend?

3 comments:

Adam Saxe said...

So do you think Doris Lessing is just not use to the new technology of the Internet? That's possible... I think she is more just scared of the possibility of it replacing other valuable resources...

Brian said...

Because our generation is already into this technology thing I wonder what will come out we refuse to get into and fall behind with. I kind of think Doris is able to be outside the box and realize and compare what is going on with internet so I think she is a valid source. We are so into it we don't realize what is going on.

Stephen said...

I hate to bring a counter-tale to this, but my grandmother is case in point to say "yes, older people can break this stereotype." A few years ago she got a cell phone and uses it to call all her girlfriends. Now mind you, she's no technologically-savvy 84 year-old. She does have her troubles with new technology, but she is eager to learn. She has her own computer where she orders her medications and keeps in touch via email. She's so into it she now does her mailing labels on the computer.

Yet, to give a counter-claim to my own thoughts, my grandfather is just the opposite. He wants nothing to do with all this new technology. It's not that he hates it, he just doesn't care and he feels like he can do without it. That is... he'll just sit back and relax to some tunes on his XM radio.